Are you a music lover whose passion for discovering the next hot band knows no bounds? Well then, SXSW is the place to be starting March 17th when literally thousands of acts will be showcasing their musical talent.
Best of SXSW Music
Hype Machine is celebrating its 10th anniversary at SXSW 2015 with its five day music blowout, Hype Hotel, featuring R&B, Hip Hop, Rock and Pop artists.
Check out these key artists debuting at Hype Hotel: Willow Smith, Rae Sremmurd and Ilovemakonnen
Up for a little Canadiana? There are some great up and coming bands from Canada that will be playing as part of the SXSW 2015 Music BC Showcase.
Some of our favs:
- Humans: a fusion of experimental electronica with catchy indie-pop hooks. They have a debut LP Noontide to be released this spring.
- SonReal: a hip hop artist nominated for a Juno Award and MMVA; he has sustained a loyal domestic fan base with his unique approach to hip hop
- Delhi 2 Dublin: this BC band has become one of Canada’s most buzzed-about bands; performing anything from dub reggae to breaks to happy dance music
For a full night of great music, check out these up and coming Canadian bands performing on March 20th at Maggie Mae’s (323 East 6th Street, Austin):
- The Matinee
- Yukon Blonde
- Dan Mangan & Blacksmith
Best of SXSW Film
Are you a film festival buff? Your SXSW 2015 experience won’t be complete if you don’t take in a few world premiere films.
SXSW is the place to experience an eclectic selection of break out must-see films. Although there are a lot of big names that come to SXSW, the festival also showcases the rising stars and under-the-radar films that give SXSW its distinctive character.
Here’s our list of smaller title films that are definitely worth seeing:
- “6 Years” – Narrative competition
- “7 Chinese Brothers” – Narrative spotlight
- “A Woman Like Me” – Documentary competition. This film is made by a film maker, Alex Sichel, who passed away last summer from breast cancer.
- “Fresno” – Narrative spotlight
- “Creative Control” – Narrative competition. In a futuristic Brooklyn, an ad executive creates a new Augmented Reality technology which he uses to create an avatar of his best friend’s girlfriend.
- “Naz and Maalik” – Visions
- “Raiders!” – Documentary spotlight
- “Sandwich Nazi” – Documentary competition
More on film: here are two cool film events you should work into your SXSW schedule:
Documentary: the world premiere of the documentary film Twinsters will be shown on March 15/2015. It’s the story of two twin sisters who discover the existence of their sibling much later in life. The film explores the meaning of family and the connection that was made possible through Facebook and YouTube.
Special Events: A fully restored version of The Breakfast Club will be part of the world premiere screenings on March 16th at SXSW 2015. Two of the film’s actors, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy will be there to celebrate this special screening.
Have a blast at SXSW 2015!
And for the everyone partying, we suggest you try Hotel My Phone – the app to continue partying even when your phone dies! Booya!